Friday, March 7, 2008

The Dumbing Down of Dad

I'm getting better at the New York Times crossword puzzle, the ideal activity with a baby sleeping on your arm, worse at everything else. Since night-owl Alistair joined early-bird Oliver in our home, I have learned these valuable lessons.

Do not address your co-workers in the same voice you use to keep your toddler from touching the stove or shaking your infant.

Do not park in a way that assumes the driver of the adjacent car is not also a sleep-deprived zombie. I am still finding pieces of the hood for my side rear-view mirror in a garage during the day and gluing them back onto the car at night. (Gorilla Glue is much cheaper than a mechanic.)

Freeze your assets until your baby is sleeping through the night. I won't go into it here, but let's just say that much of my post-partum banking turned out to be illegal.

No comments: